10. The page doesn’t talk back.
Ba-dum-bum… But sometimes it does have that chilling blank stare.
9. My pen (keyboard) actually does what I ask.
Ba-dum-bum… Be careful what you ask for!
8. Along with a prominent Do Not Disturb sign (which is as essential to a writer as pen and paper), writing provides good cover for catching a few Z’s.
Ba-dum-bum… But that’s not the way to make dreams come true.
7. I can make things up without being accused of making things up.
Ba-dum-bum… As they say, if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance…
6. Words are the best kind of friends, always ready to play.
Ba-dum-bum… But too much of a good thing…
5. I’ve been told I can’t think on my feet, so I compensate by thinking on my butt.
Ba-dum-bum… But sometimes I find it hard not to make an ass of myself.
4. Writing is the only profession with a respectable excuse for slacking off.
Ba-dum-bum… Whoever heard of Accountant’s Block?
3. Since I can’t afford therapy, I write.
Ba-dum-bum… But you’re sure to go insane if you ever try to calculate the opportunity cost buried in revision.
2. Since I’m a wimp, writing allows me to exact revenge on reviled relatives and frenemies without fear of reprisal.
Ba-dum-bum… Don’t forget the “This is a work of fiction” disclaimer on that copyright page!
And the number one reason why I write (drum roll):
1. Writing is the best soul food around.
Ba-dum-bum… But eating your words is not recommended.
Perhaps this old Latin proverb captures best what motivates me most: verba volant, scripta manent. In other words, being mortal (and more painfully aware of it every year), it’s nice to think I might leave behind something that could stand the test of time. So, I write.
Gourgey served as a managing partner at Accenture where he was awarded a patent for Software Service Architectures. Now, he spends time as a venture capital partner at Omni Capital and a technology advisor for startup companies. He is a member of the Alpha Sigma Mu and Tau Beta Pi engineering honor societies.
Gourgey’s first science fiction novel, “Glide” (2011, Jacked Arts Press), has drawn more than 5 million reads on Wattpad.com, and the second book in the series, “Nu Logic,” received a highly coveted starred review from Publisher’s Weekly. Gourgey has contributed to Wattpad, PatrickMcMullan.com, Wavecloud and Enterprise Systems Journal. He is also the author of the short story collection “Unfamiliar Fruit” (2012, Jacked Arts Press) and the book of poetry “Outside the Box” (2007-2008, Jacked Arts Press).